This form does not yet contain any fields.

     

     


    HISTORY

    History of Pecan Manor Bed & Breakfast

    The house was originally built in the late 1880’s by Daniel Murphy.  However, to make room for a new high school, it was torn down and rebuilt in its present location about 1905, across the street!

    Dan Murphy, a landed Irish immigrant, and his wife Hannah moved to Taylor from Palestine, Texas, about 1875.  Murphy was instrumental in creating the town of Taylor, bringing the railroad to the community and establishing many of the local business, including a hotel, large ranch and farm holdings, the water company, and the Taylor Ice Company.

    When the house was built, the area was considered the outskirts of town.  During cattle drives to the rail yards of Taylor, herds were seen driven right past the backyard.  Hannah told stories of how the cattle ruined her vegetable garden and the laundry hanging on the clothesline!

    The Murphy’s daughter Grace inherited the house in 1900.  Grace married Jim Dellinger and together they raised three children here.  “Big Jim” became an important figure in the community.  In 1916 he joined the local police force and became Chief of Police in 1920.  He served in that position until 1956.  There is a bullet hole in the side door (facing 9th Street) and many have speculated that might have had something to do with Dellinger’s occupation.  Dellinger lived in the house until his death in 1969. 

    The Dellinger children eventually chose to sell the home.  In 1989 new owners did a major renovation to preserve the house and were awarded a “Community Preservation Award” by the Taylor Conservation and Heritage Society.  A frequent participating home in Taylor’s Christmas Holiday Home Tour, in December 2012 Pecan Manor Bed & Breakfast continued that tradition.

    819 Hackberry had always been occupied as a single family residence until purchased by Janetta McCoy in 2011.  It is her goal to respect the history of the house and through the B & B income preserve and restore the home.  As a house it is a grand statement in the community.  As a home Pecan Manor is both comforting for the individual guest, and highly conducive to a socializing gathering.

     

    History of Taylor

    1876- International & Great Northern Railway, Taylor Station, named for a railroad official, later called “Taylorsville” and finally “Taylor”

    Taylor Station was situated on a major cattle trail, and saw over 100 cattle railcars ship out within the first year of its existence. 

    Shoot-outs and lawlessness rampant in the small town, but as pastureland was converted to produce high quantities of cotton eventually more people settled, allowing for growth in schools, churches, and businesses.

    1879 – Destructive fire wiped out wood framed buildings, were replaced with brick structures

    1889 – Streetcar system devised by Dr. A.V. Hoak, carries passengers through muddy streets by using mules to pull cars along tracks.

    Cotton industry a fixture in Taylor’s economy, part of Williamson county which at one time was the worlds largest inland producer of cotton.

    Taylor has many large historic homes, indicative of the prosperous era of the young town.

    Taylor was home to Texas’s youngest governor to take office. Dan Moody took office in 1926, at the age of 33. The Moody Museum on West 9th street, displays many relics and heirlooms of his life in Taylor.

    Other famous Taylor residents include Elmer “Pet” Brown, a world champion middleweight wrestler; Bill Pickett, a steer wrestler who earned his place in the Cowboy Hall of Fame by using the “bulldogging” technique; Tex Avery, cartoonist, whose Looney Tunes characters influenced a generation; and, Rip Torn, renowned actor in movies and Broadway. Information summarized from Taylor Chamber of Commerce website. For more in-depth history, please visit the original post here: http://www.taylorchamber.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=55